Did you know that chlorine and chloramine are used in our water to free it from germs and other impurities? That means we literally shower or bathe in these chemicals too. Obviously, this can have serious consequences for your body and health. So, it’s a good idea to spend some thought on getting the best shower filter to remove the chemicals from your water.
We want to help you find the best shower filter for your needs. In order to do so, we’ve condensed over a hundred pieces of buyer feedback to find the best shower filter, based on: ease of installation, performance, and availability of replacement cartridges.
The Best Shower Filters 2017 Compared
- 1 The Best Shower Filters 2017 Compared
- 2 1. Culligan Wall-Mount Shower Head – Our Best Shower Filter for Hair Loss
- 3 2. CaptainEco Shower Filter with 2 Replacement Cartridges – Our Best Shower Filter For Hard Water
- 4 3. Bath & Relax Filtered Hand Held Shower Head
- 5 4. Cropal 7-Stage Shower Filter
- 6 5. Aquasana Deluxe Shower Water Filter System
- 7 6. Vita Fresh Shower Filter – Our Best Vitamin C Shower Filter
- 8 7. Sonaki Inline Filter
- 9 8. CasaFlow Shower Filter
- 10 What to Look For in a Shower Filter (Buyer’s Guide)
1. Culligan Wall-Mount Shower Head – Our Best Shower Filter for Hair Loss
The Culligan WSH-C125 is a high-quality shower filter that is also quite affordable because it is a filter and shower head. That means you don’t need to buy a shower head separately.
One major reason why we rated the Culligan WSH-C125 Filtered Shower Head as #1 on our list of the best shower filters is because of its ease of installation. The process of installing this filter is straightforward as you just open the shower head up, insert the filter, and then close the shower head again.
Looking at performance, the Culligan shower filter has the power to remove the chlorine, hard water minerals, as well as other waterborne impurities, such as chloramine, from your water. It also has anti-clog water jets that ensure you have a consistent flow of water for your shower every day. You can easily remove any noticeable hard water build up by rubbing your hands over the flexible nozzles.
The Culligan WSH-C125 Filtered Showerhead is NSF certified, which means it has been tested negative with respect to any health and safety threats. It is also unique and versatile because it allows for 5 unique spray settings: Power spray, Massage spray, Misting spray, Water saving spray, and Rain shower. To top it all off, the Culligan WSH-C125 comes with a 5-year warranty which is a low-risk purchase considering the fact that you will be using this shower head every day.
- Built to remove chlorine, hard water minerals, and other impurities from your water
- Enhances your experience in the shower with a choice of 5 unique spray settings
- Quick and easy to install without the use of tools
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- If your water is high on chlorine content, the filter will need to be replaced more often
- Affects your shower water pressure
2. CaptainEco Shower Filter with 2 Replacement Cartridges – Our Best Shower Filter For Hard Water
The CaptainEco 5-Stage shower filter is particularly good at removing a wide range of chemicals from your water because it uses a special “Kinetic Degradation Fluxion” filtration process to do so.
In particular, the CaptainEco 5-Stage uses activated charcoal, ceramic balls, and a polypropylene cotton filter that is 3 to 8 times bigger than what other shower filters have. This shower filter can remove chlorine and other heavy metals effectively from your water. What comes out of your shower head is clean water that can aid metabolism and boost the immune system.
We chose this as the 2nd best shower filter because the installation of the CaptainEco 5-Stage shower filter isn’t as easy as of the Culligan shower head, mentioned above, but still fairly quick and straightforward. You will need about three items – Teflon tape (included), a bucket, and a pair of pliers.
The Teflon tape is to secure the collar neck to the pipe and prevent leaks during use. Once you have attached the filter to the pipe, you will need the pliers to tighten them together. After that, you will place a bucket under the shower filter and run water through it to remove any existing carbon dust. At first, there will be a current of black water flowing into the bucket but once the water turns clear, the filter is ready to be used.
The cartridge in this package can be used for up to 12 months, and since this package comes with an extra cartridge, that means you would have approximately 2 years of clean, sediment-free, shower water. And if you’re concerned about the effect this filter will have on your water pressure, you’ll be pleased to know that the CaptainEco won’t affect your water pressure at all.
- Removes chlorine, granulated copper, and other heavy metals from your water
- Fast and straightforward installation (Teflon tape included)
- Comes with an extra replacement cartridge
- Eliminates odor in the water
- If you’re tall, note that the shower filter is big/long, so it will lower the height of your shower head
3. Bath & Relax Filtered Hand Held Shower Head
The Bath & Relax Filtered Hand Held Shower Head can remove chlorine and other impurities from your water with the help of bioactive mineral stone. This kind of stone has an improved cleansing effect and even helps prevent hair loss. It works by breaking water down into smaller molecules and so, reduces residual chlorine, bacteria, antioxidants, and other impurities in the water.
This is our 3rd best shower filter in terms of overall performance, because the Bath & Relax filter is not on the same level as the top 2, but it can still remove over 98% of chlorine in the water.
The Bath & Relax shower filter goes into the shower head easily and does not affect your showering experience. It has 3 shower modes, a rainfall mode, a massage mode, and a jetting mode, that you can easily change by just turning the outer ring of the shower head. You can adjust the intensity of the water based on your preference.
One incredible feature of this shower filter is the micro nozzle mechanism. This mechanism atomizes the water into tiny droplets which have a larger surface area than water from a standard shower head. With this feature, you can save up to 30% of water in a single shower.
- Installation and ease of use is fantastic
- Has 3 shower settings
- Comes with bioactive mineral stones which reduce bacteria and antioxidants in the water
- The filter sprays a bit too high and can’t swivel down
- Small holes in the stainless steel plate limit water pressure
4. Cropal 7-Stage Shower Filter
The Cropal Shower Filter combines good quality construction with a patented filtration media to reduce the amount of chlorine in your water at a budget friendly price. Its patented filtration media allows the shower filter to also remove sediments, rust, heavy metals, and calcium sulfite from you water, as well as absorb the bad smell in lower water temperature.
The Cropal shower filter comes with a replaceable 7-stage Filter Cartridge, installation instructions, 2 O-rings, and Teflon tape. And we think the Cropal is one of the best shower filters available because it has 2 more filtration layers – 1 made of polypropylene cotton and 1 of steel mesh – than the CaptainEco 5-stage filter above.
The best part of this shower filter is that the filter cartridge can be paired with any standard shower head or handheld shower. You can use it for up to 12 months before needing to change the cartridge. Take note that it doesn’t just remove the impurities and chemicals from the water, it also prevents dry skin and damage to color-treated hair.
When you set out to buy a shower filter, you want a unit that can be easily fixed to your shower head and doesn’t decrease the water flow. The Cropal Shower Filter matches these requirements. Plus, you won’t even need tools or a handyman to install it.
- Reduces impurities and chlorine in the water
- Easy to connect to the shower head
- Won’t reduce the water pressure coming out of your shower head
- Very affordable
- Guarantee period is too short to really test this shower filter thoroughly (30days)
5. Aquasana Deluxe Shower Water Filter System
The Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System with Adjustable Showerhead can filter the water you use to bathe and reduce its chlorine content through a dual-stage filtration process. It uses patented copper-zinc media and coconut shell carbon to filter your shower water. This enhances the pH balance of your water and may help reduce skin or hair problems.
This unit installs easily like a plug and play solution but you will need Teflon tape, a pair of pliers, and a bucket – just like for other shower filters that contain carbon. To install it, you need to remove your existing shower head. Then, you can place the filter onto the shower line and use pliers to secure the chrome collar to the pipe. Afterwards, use the tape to make sure that there will be no leakage. Next, you will need to flush out the loose carbon from the filter until the water runs clear. Finally, you can attach the included adjustable shower head and take a shower right away.
If you’re concerned about space, the Aquasana Deluxe doesn’t take up much room in your bath as it will be attached directly to the shower line. It will fit most shower lines with 1/2-inch pipe thread connections. Also, its shower head is adjustable, so you can enjoy taking a shower no matter what height you are.
The Aquasana AQ-4100 also gives you several shower head options to choose from. You can have a fixed shower head, a handheld shower head, or you can remove the shower head altogether. Any Aquasana shower head you choose will give you a consistent flow of water, and flexibility in water pressure as well.
- Removes chlorine and enhances pH balance
- Quite easy to install and use
- Adjustable water pressure for a refreshing bath
- Does not remove chloramine
- You will need a pair of pliers for the initial installation
- Filter needs to be changed only after 6 months
6. Vita Fresh Shower Filter – Our Best Vitamin C Shower Filter
Aside from being known as a treatment for the common cold, Vitamin C has always been one of the best options for filtering out chlorine and chloramine from your water, compared to using a KDF filter or an Active Carbon filter.
So the Vita Fresh Shower Filter makes use of pharmaceutical grade Vitamin C to neutralize and remove chlorine and chloramine from the water. The filter continues to work until all the Vitamin C is used up, so once you see that there is no more powder in the filter, you will have to change it.
It’s important to note that the Vita Fresh Shower Filter can surely remove chlorine and chloramine from your shower water but it will not remove sediment like the other filters above. With that said, we consider Vitamin C water filtration the most effective method in removing chlorine and chloramine (more than 99%) – compared to other filtration methods that can only reduce them to around 20-80%.
The Vita Fresh Shower Filter can work at any normal shower temperature. It is also worth noting that using this water filter with your shower won’t affect the flow of water. This is why we chose the Vita Fresh Shower as our best Vitamin C shower filter. Additionally, it comes with 2 refill filters, installation instructions and Teflon tape.
What most people don’t know is that when chlorine melts in the water, it produces hypochlorous acid. This means that showering with chlorinated water can irritate or dry out your skin, cause it to break out, and even damage your hair. The Vita Fresh Shower Filter perfectly neutralizes this residual chlorine and turns the water chlorine and chloramine-free. Plus: let’s not forget the sweet smell of vitamin C that comes after it has eliminated the chemical odor of chlorine.
- It removes more than 99% of the chlorine from your shower water
- Easy to install
- Removes chlorine odor
- Has a pleasing vitamin C scent
- Comes with 2 extra filters
- You will really need the Teflon tape to prevent leakage
- Needs to be replaced more frequently than other filters
- If you shower a lot, you will need more cartridges
7. Sonaki Inline Filter
Our body absorbs more chlorine when we shower, compared to when we drink unfiltered water. These chemicals and other impurities are very harmful to the skin and the hair – and this is why it is advisable you use a shower filter regularly. The Vitamin C Inline Filter by Sonaki removes 99.9% of chlorine and chloramines from your shower water using its advanced patented Vita C filter.
Just like the VitaFresh Shower Filter, the Vitamin C Inline Filter by Sonaki uses a Vitamin C filter to remove the chlorine from your shower water. It prevents dry and irritated skin caused by hypochlorous acid (the result of chlorine melting in water), and will give you softer skin and a radiant glow.
As with most shower filters, you will need Teflon tape and a pair of pliers for installation. First, you have to remove your old shower head, and then you need to attach the tape to the pipe before placing and turning the shower filter until secure. After that, you can re-attach your shower head. The Sonaki Filter is transparent so you can easily monitor the filter and know exactly when to replace it. The best part is the package comes with 2 extra filters so you don’t have to worry about getting a replacement when the filter runs out.
- Easy installation
- It removes chlorine from your shower water
- Comes with 2 extra filters
- Has a nice scent
- The filters don’t last very long (because the water does not fully drain after the shower, and this continues the usage of the Vitamin C)
8. CasaFlow Shower Filter
You wouldn’t drink water containing chlorine, so why would you shower in it? With the CasaFlow Shower Filter, you won’t have to, as it removes over 99% of the chlorine. Unlike other filters that contain activated carbon, this filter contains KDF55 and Calcium Sulfite making it more effective at removing chlorine, and other nasties. In fact, it contains 180 grams of KDF which is well above the average of 90 grams found in many other filters. This filter also removes bacteria and pesticides in your water which will inhibit the growth of mold and algae.
If you currently suffer from dry, damaged, and unmanageable hair, then switching to this shower filter will vastly improve the condition of your hair. Because it gets rid of almost all of the chlorine, showering with the CasaFlow Shower Filter can help reduce any dryness and itching on your skin and scalp, and also improve the condition of your hair and nails.
This filter as it is easy to install and you won’t even need any tools. It comes with universal connections,
which will let you attach this filter to all types of shower heads. Plus, it won’t reduce your water pressure.
The CasaFlow Shower Filter has a long lasting cartridge which will last an average of six months. It has a digital reminder, so you know when you need to replace the cartridge. Replacement cartridges are easily obtained, from here.
- Removes chlorine, heavy metals, pesticides, and bacteria.
- Very easy to fit and no tools are required.
- A digital reminder so you know when you need to replace the filter cartridge.
- Doesn’t reduce your water pressure.
- Comes with a money back guarantee.
- This is a long filter taking up a large amount of space. May not be suitable for tall people.
- Very heavy so it might be difficult to adjust your showerhead to the optimum position.
What to Look For in a Shower Filter (Buyer’s Guide)
If you don’t use a shower filter yet, then you are definitely missing out. Here are some great reasons why you should consider buying them:
- Water Smells Better: When you take your shower, there is an odor that comes with the chemicals used in treating the water. The shower filter will not only remove the chlorine and other harmful chemicals, but it will also get rid of any offensive odor that comes with it.
- Clearer Skin, Softer Hair: Chlorine is very bad for the skin and hair. It can lead to all kinds of breakouts, dryness, and even allergic reactions like rashes. This is due to the fact that chlorine, at its basic level is alkaline, while our skin is slightly acidic. They are not compatible. A shower filter will take the chlorine out of your water so your hair can grow softer and your skin will be clearer and smoother.
- Energizing Shower: According to this study, our bodies can absorb more harmful chemicals from a 10-minute shower, than from drinking one quart of tap water. The use of shower filters will help reduce the amount of impurities that can weaken your immune system and cause health problems. Using a shower filter will give you clean water that can leave you energized and healthier after each bath.
So, now that you want to purchase a shower filter, here are the things to consider for when searching for the best one for you:
1. Three Types of Filtration
Modern shower filters use 1 of 3 filtration techniques: activated carbon, KDF, or Vitamin C.
- Activated Carbon showers use activated carbon inside to filter the water. It is the least expensive method of filtration.
- KDF, or Kinetic Degradation Fluxion, uses a high copper-zinc combination in a chemical process to remove harmful chemicals like lead and chlorine from water.
- Vitamin C filters use a tube of ascorbic acid which neutralizes chlorine when it comes in contact with it.
So generally, Activated Carbon and KD are not as effective at removing chlorine compared to Vitamin C, which is proven to be effective at neutralizing chlorine and chloramines.
The filter apparatus itself is not the crucial thing here, the filters are. New ones cost between $10 and $35, so you’d want to be able to use one for as long as possible. A good shower filter will last for at least 6 months. (Longevity also depends, of course, on how long and how often you shower.)
3. Replacement Filters
When you’re ready to buy a shower filter, the availability of its replacement filters is a huge consideration. There is no point in using a filter for 6 months and then finding out that its replacement cartridges cost more. You also need to be sure that your local store stocks inventory for these filters so you can easily purchase one.
4. Ease of Installation
Ease of installation is one of the top considerations when buying the best shower filter for you. It’s an absolute pain to struggle with the filter for hours or have to call a professional to install it. A shower filter is meant to be a “plug and play” item. Have a look through our top picks again to see which ones are easy to install.
And…that’s it from our team. After going through our best shower filter suggestions and buyer’s guide, we hope that you’ll be able to pick out the best shower filter for you!
Any Questions, Comments, or Suggestions?
If any of the above came up, please don’t hesitate to leave us a comment.
We reply to each and every one of them!